Friday, July 18, 2014

PCT Days 104-111: Shasta City to Etna

Day 104
Zero Day

My dad pulls into Ash Camp at 8am sharp in a shiny red rental car. I pack up, say goodbye to Medicine Man, and happily jump in the oh-so-clean passenger seat. Off for a whole day! Yippee!

First thing- errands. We stop at the grocery store (9 days is a lot of food), post office (where we pick up Moxie, Acorn and Estero trying to hitch), and three different outfitter stores in town (why doesn't anyone carry 100% deet). 

I got new shoes today! Good thing too, my feet were starting to poke through the old ones I got in Kennedy Meadows. Almost 800 miles on these babies!


Sometimes zero days are more work than relaxation, but today is a perfect zero day. I finish all my town chores by 2pm and even get espresso. Glitter looooooves espresso!

I'm really excited to hike with GlitterPop tomorrow. We're planning on hiking 13 miles or so and camping at a river. He'll turn around and hike back out the next day while I continue on my 9-day stretch to Ashland.

Day 105
Miles 1476-1490

Wake up, shower, pack, Burger King, Subway, coffee, we are at the trailhead by 9:30am. It's another hot, humid day. I let GlitterPop take the lead. Thirteen miles sounds like half a day to me, but dad is a bit nervous.


When I was a kid I hated hiking. My dad took my brothers and I on backpacking trips every year and he always had to force me to go. 
"My backpack is too heavy."
"I'm tired."
"How much further?"
I thought he was a slave driver. 
"Stop complaining."
"Keep walking."
"It's just around the corner," he'd say. 
I knew he was lying. It's not just around the corner and this isn't fair and everything sucks. 

Now that I'm addicted to hiking and he's getting older, the tables have turned. He thinks it's too hot and wants to take a break. "How much further," he asks. I smile, "it's just around the corner."

We arrive at camp by 4:30pm. We're planning on camping near a beautiful river with a perfect swimming hole, but GlitterPop has a different idea. 

He's not excited about hiking the same hot, humid miles tomorrow. He's thinking about trying to hitch back to his car instead. I imagine spending another night in a motel room and I happily encourage him. He quickly finds some other folks at the trailhead and asks for a ride.

GlitterPop picks me up an hour later, plus two other hikers who are injured and want to go into Shasta early. I wasn't expecting this trip back to Shasta, but I can't complain about another round of beer and a soft bed.

We get back to Shasta by the early evening, chow down on some pizza at a local pizza place, and head to a hotel to crash.


Day 106
Miles 1490-1512

This morning GlitterPop helps me slack-pack the last 16 miles to Interstate 5. Slack-packing is when you have someone else take your gear to the next stop, allowing you to hike with only a day pack and some snacks. 

I dump all of my gear into the back seat of the rental car and seperate out what I need for the afternoon. My pack weighs about 5 pounds today, where as yesterday it weighed close to 40 pounds with my 9 days of food.

More beautiful views of Shasta this afternoon-

The 16 miles fly by and soon I see my dad and Moxie in the rental car pulling up at the interstate. They pick me up and we  eat at an awesome brewery before GlitterPop drops us back off at the trailhead. 

A little tipsy, and maybe a little more sane then yesterday, I ask myself why I'm trying to carry out 9 days of food. What am I trying to prove? With Moxie's encouragement I reduce my food to 5 days and send the regs back with my dad.

Thank you GlitterPop for taking the time to visit me, for your patience, for your kindness to me and my fellow hikers, and for doing my stinky laundry while I rested!

Back on trail Moxie and I hike under Castle Crags. Epic!


We camp 6 miles from I-5, next to two brothers named Gas Pedal and Firestarter. I love these guys! I first met them in Sierra City and haven't seen them again until now. The four of us cook our dinners together, joking about life and  hiking and love before heading to bed.

Day 107
Miles 1512-1531

There's a huge climb first thing this morning. It's hot and the sun is burning me, but there are more views of Castle Crags as we ascend.


Today is one of those long, hot, seemingly endless days. Must. Take. Nap.



After setting up camp for the night, Moxie and I talk while eating and get onto the topic of weight loss. I mention in passing that I've lost 25% of my body weight, thinking she already knew, and she stops eating her food. "Say what," she says.

I thought I would stop losing weight when my body came to a natural equilibrium. I feel like I eat as much and as often as I like, but maybe it's not enough? Maybe Moxie is right and I'll feel better if I eat more. Can I eat more? 

Here's what I ate today-
- 2 packs of Carnation Instant Breakfast
- 1 cup granola
- 2 Kind bars
- 1 tortilla
- 1/4 pack of pepperoni (1/8lb)
- 2 string cheese
- Peanut m&ms
- 2 packs ramen
- 1oz Olive oil packet
Total calories: About 2,500

Oh shit, I think, I'm starving myself! I thought I was consuming more calories than that, but I guess I haven't been paying enough attention. Note to self: EAT MORE FOOD.

Day 108
Miles 1531-1552

A strong breeze blows this morning, moving massive puffy cloudy across the sky. The clouds move quickly in these mountains. I've gone up in elevation the last two days and the escape from the humidity is a huge relief. 

The trail stays high all day, traversing ridges with views of Mt Shasta and an expansive valley to the north.


I stop for lunch at Deadfall lake. Approaching the lake I notice a warm, sandy shore and crystal clear waters. Of course I have to jump in. There's nothing quite like the feeling I get swimming in a lake with no one else around. The water is cool, not cold, and I swim for a few minutes before getting out and lounging in the sun.


I hike a few miles further into a flat, wooded area where I feel the presence of bears. I know that sounds crazy, but I keep thinking, "if I was a bear this is where I would live." I sing a song to alert the bears of my presence. It's a made up song to the tune of Don't Cry for me Argentina and I feel confident that the noise, or maybe just my awful pitch, will scare away any bears.  

Another great day on the PCT. My feet may be aching and I'm definitely short on food, but I'm clean and happy.

Day 109
Miles 1552-1572

It's light out as I pack up my tent. A bunch of other hikers camped near me last night, but only Gas Pedal and Firestarter are still in camp as I pack up my tent and move on. 

Gas Pedal and Firestarter are from Huntington Beach and they're hiking a few sections over a two month period. I'm a little jealous, I wish my brothers could hike with me!

I warm up on the first few miles, it has been wonderfully chilly the last few days. After getting warm I stop to stretch and eat my breakfast near a small lake.


I finish breakfast and walk slowly, sitting to let my body rest as often as possible.


In the middle of the day I cross a highway and enter the Trinity-Alps Wilderness. After ascending a few more hills I get my first glimpse of the Trinity Alps.


Later in the day I come upon this young deer about 200 feet before camp. He stands in front of me on the trail just staring and waiting to see what I'll do. I take some pictures as he walks ahead of me, leading me into camp.


Day 110
Miles 1572-1597

I wake up earlier than usual and can't get back to sleep, so I let the air out of my sleeping pad at 6:30. The day flys by; my feet feel good, I feel good, and the trail in this section is endlessly beautiful.


The Trinity-Alps have not disappointed; rugged peaks, picturesque lakes, wildlife all around, and springs on every hillside. I'm in love with fresh, cold, unfiltered spring water.


With my extra time I decide to climb a few more miles closer to Etna. I've forgotten how much further you can hike if you leave camp before 8am!


I find a secluded spot on top of a ridge before the final 9-mile descent into Etna. A few other hikers roll in after I have my tent set up, including a hiker named Bomber and his brother Siesta. 

Bomber asks if I'm Glitter and says that he has heard stories about me from his brother. I recognize Siesta's face, but I can't remember where I've met him before. Siesta invites me to breakfast and beer in Etna tomorrow (there is a restaurant AND a brewery) and I agree in hopes that I'll eventually be able to remember how I know him. 

Oh yeah, the sunset is gorgeous from my tent tonight. 


Day 111
Miles 1597-1606

I'm up before anyone else in camp. I only have a piece of cheese and a Snickers bar to get me into town. All I can think about is food. 

I pass the 1600 mile mark and stop to eat some cheese. I can't believe I only have 1,060 miles left before I reach Canada. How in the world have I walked this far? Am I crazy? Yes, I think, I'm a little crazy for doing this. 


I get to the trailhead and get a hitch in to town with a few hikers, including Bomber and Siesta. We eat breakfast together at a cute little diner then walk across the street to get a shake. I don't want a shake, I could barely eat my breakfast, but I just think about the calories and imagine the milk as fuel.

Oh! I remember now. I met Siesta in Bishop.

In the afternoon I do my resupply shopping. I'm so glad I gave up on that 9-day stretch idea. Why carry 9 days of food when you could carry 3? Fewer days of food means that I can carry less weight overall with more food (i.e. calories) for each day.

I usually spend around $10 for each day of resupply, but today I spend $80 for three days. I'm going to try and eat close to 5,000 calories every day. We'll see how it goes.

On my way to the store I see this deer nursing her babies in the road. I yell, "GET OFF THE ROAD" and wave my arms until they run into the forest.


Moxie and I walk to the brewery in the evening and have dinner with tons of other hikers including the Germans, the Bubbies, and Tortuga, all who I haven't seen in a while. Great day.

Only a few days until I reach Oregon! Next time you hear from me I'll be in a different state!

4 comments:

  1. I truly enjoy your blog and your wonderful thoughts as you walk. So thank you for letting us be a part of your life. Of all the blogs, yours is right up there near the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glitter, your blog is inspiring! Thank you for writing about your adventure! Sending well wishes your way on the rest of your time in Cali.
    Happy trails,
    blog-follower Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila and I heartily concur with your decision to increase the caloric intake. 5K sounds much more like what you should be eating daily. We were constantly eating when we were riding 85 miles per day. You are probably working much harder than that! Eat, my friend. Eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could consume some calories for you, Rob! I'm eagerly awaiting your next post… And I love the name Glitterpop!

    ReplyDelete