Thursday, October 3, 2013

SHT Day 14 (10/2)

This morning started out like many others, it was a hazy day and I woke up late. As uncomfortable as my sleeping pad can sometimes be, I have managed to get used to it enough to sleep past my alarm at 7:30 on a regular basis. Today I got up at 8:30 and got right down to the business of walking. 

Today I was craving contact with people and culture. I found myself taking a break only 30 minutes into my hike to check my email, text a few friends, and reconnect with the outside world.

I knew that I had two options for my day: first, I could try to hike the 21 miles I need to be back on schedule (ugh), or second, I could hike 15 miles to Grand Marais, stay in a motel, and get back on the trail a few miles up the road tomorrow. Not being a thru-hiking purist (someone who demands that you pass every inch of trail) the decision was easy. I don't want to make myself suffer through the extra miles just to say or prove I can. I would rather hike moderate miles, enjoy myself, and get out of the rain that's predicted for this evening. I mean, I've hiked 260 miles now, do I have to feel guilty over missing 5?

That question is pointless. I do feel guilty, but I can't help it. I like baths and I'm lonely. The thought of being in a town full of "Minnesota nice" for the evening is irresistible.


I think I'm passed the peak color change because now the incredible display of color has moved from the trees to the ground.


I passed through this beautiful pine forest that reminded me of the Cascades.


I also had to walk a few miles on an unpaved county road to reach Grand Marais.


Once I got into town, I checked into the Gunflint Motel, a cute little place owned by a couple of old hippies. They were very welcoming, even offering to drive me back to the trail in the morning. The room had a kitchenette, a nice bathtub, and this adorable bedroom. How cute is this?!


Grand Marais is the only incorporated town in Cook county, the most northeastern of all the counties in Minnesota. It has a population of about 1,300 (as of the 2010 census), but it's unique in that it's hip, artsy, and hosts a variety of festivals throughout the year. I was really impressed by this little town. Great restaurants, espresso (hard to find out here), and seemingly tons of young people. 

I met a few people in their 20s, all from other places like Cleveland or Olympia, who moved out here for the solitude, natural beauty, and ease of finding work. One waitress even encouraged me to move out here and said she would give me part-time work! Alas, she admitted that the gay scene was non existent and my server was the only gay she knew in town. 

Here's the little restaurant where I had an early dinner.


They had the best fish 'n chips EVER.


Then I had a latte from Java Moose and, no joke, the woman in front of me ordered a Minnesota maple latte. You betcha it was delicious!


I had dessert and a few glasses of wine at a little caffe a block from my motel later in the evening. This was the restaurant with the gay server, who was totally sweet and adorable... or at least I think he was... perhaps I'm just removed enough from men that my standards have lowered. Anyway, he flirted with me for a bit which made me simultaneously flattered and more lonely.


To finish my day, I had a 2 hour appointment with my bath tub while I listened to the rain outside of my room. I definitely made the right decision on what to do with my day.


Tomorrow and Friday I have to hike through to the last sections, which I will complete with a 2 mile walk on Saturday before the shuttle picks me up at noon. It's supposed to rain and dip down to the 30s both days, so I might be soaked and cold, but I'll be marching towards the finish line. I won't have much in the way of cell reception so you might have to wait for my final updates.

Think of me while you're warm at home!

Love,
Rob

2 comments:

  1. You make Grand Marais sound very appealing--but their winters are probably awful. One more day, right? I'm really going to miss these postings of yours. I've loved reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those legs!

    And I love that picture where you're standing in the leaves.

    Stay safe and warm during you're final days! :-)

    ReplyDelete