Tuesday, October 1, 2013

SHT Day 13 (10/1)

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. My alarm went off at 6:30 and immediately my mind was flooded with ideas about how I could stay in this warm, dry, comfortable bed just a little bit longer. Looking around the room though, I knew that I couldn't stay in bed. I had clothes drying, hung on a line strung from the closet to the curtain rod, and everything was emptied out of my pack. 

I had known that it would take a while to put everything back together, but last night I hadn't been able to resist the temptation to take everything out of its place and make sure it was restocked (TP, water, food), cleaned (cooking supplies and clothes), and dried (rain jacket and poncho).

I got out of bed, ate an orange I found in the lobby (oh how I miss fresh fruit), sulked over the fact that the vending machine with the Combos and pretzels only took quarters and I had none, and got my pack put back together. I did find another vending machine that took dollar bills, drinks only in this one, and got a cold V8 to add to my breakfast. 

After packing and getting dressed I walked the mile or so back to the trail saying, "peace out" to the Lutsen Resort.


As soon as I got to the trail it started to rain. I thought, "no no no no no! It's supposed to be sunny until Thursday!" After a few short showers, the skies heard my logic and stopped raining. It became a beautiful, sunny, windy day. Perfect for hiking.


I loved how you could see this river, winding it's way through the valley.


Whenever I reach a high point on the trail, I usually relax and check my phone for service. In addition to being a great excuse to rest, it's a nice time to upload the previous night's blog entry or check in with my dad.

Later in the afternoon, I passed this interesting area high on a ridge. There were a bunch of benches facing the center, where there was a fire pit and a little stump, presumably where someone could stand and speak. Although it's right on the SHT it looks like it belongs to a group called Cathedral of the Pines. I should look that up when I get home. It did make a great spot to stop for a snack.


Speaking of stopping, I decided to record for you more of my favorite activity- taking breaks. I love being able to find a sunny spot, lay out my sleeping mat, and elevate my feet on my backpack. Bliss!


Another one...


It ended up being a 20+ mile day, as I'm getting close to the end and I need to make sure I'm going to finish on time to meet the shuttle that will take me back to civilization. I'm supposed to have another sunny day tomorrow, so that should be perfect for getting in more extra miles.

I found camp around 6 on a nice ridge overlooking the Cascade River. Alone again, but I'm trying to enjoy the solitude before I go back to my normal life.


I'm falling asleep as I type this. Walking all day takes a lot out of you.


Till tomorrow,
Rob

1 comment: