Monday, September 30, 2013

SHT Day 12 (9/30)

Today was consumed by my desire for a bed, beer, and a bath. I got out of camp by 8:30 for the 12 miles to Lutsen Resort where I had a hotel room waiting for me.

One thing I can say about the SHT is that they have fantastic latrines. There is one at every campsite, so there's always one within a few miles of any point on the trail. They keep the sites very clean and check this one out- Is there a more beautiful way to shit? I don't think so.


The day continued with more fall color. 


Halfway through my morning I came by this old advertisement for the SHTA, which is the association that advocates, maintains, and creates the guide for the SHT. I just loved the woman in this ad, she's so darn hip!


Only 6.8 miles to Lutsen!


Many of these miles were uphill. One big difference I've noticed between this trail and trails in the cascades is that they don't use switchbacks very often here. If there is a steep slope, they use wooden or rock stairs instead.


I feel like this guy was trying to attract females when I found him. Is this why they call them ruffed grouse?


I had a hard time seeing the trail for the last few miles. So many leaves!


See that building in the distance? That's where I'm spending the evening.


Since I arrived at 1:30 and couldn't check-in until 4, I decided to eat everything in sight.


Then I finally got to my room and spent an hour and a half bathing. HEAVEN!


Since the place where I'm staying doesn't have laundry service, I had to do my own. That water was dissssgggusting.


Then I spent some time unpacking the food I mailed myself and watching my clothes dry.


I also realized that the weather forecast for the rest of my trip is no bueno. Rain?! SNOW?! This is going to be exciting.


That's all. I'm too tired and full of brownies to write more today. I hope things are going well for everyone and that the government doesn't shut down tomorrow. 



Nighty night!
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment