Sunday, September 29, 2013

SHT Day 10- Part 2

Motivated by food and my pristinely pale yellow urine, I got out of bed early and started the 4 mile trek to Our Place, the only breakfast restaurant, or actually the only restaurant, around the city of Finland. Most of it was road walking, but I didn't mind. I couldn't stop thinking of orange juice and pancakes. 


Once at Our Place, I was greeted by a woman in a tie dyed shirt. She said, "you're gunna have to move that thing" referring to my backpack and, "it's going to be a long time for breakfast." When I ordered, biscuits and gravy and a pancake on the side, she grunted something about if I wanted a filling for the pancake. The menu said that the options for filling were either chocolate chips or wild rice. When I asked about the wild rice- because seriously, wild rice?- she rolled her eyes and said, "hunny, it's horse shit, that's why it's on our menu." 

I ordered the wild rice and I couldn't help but love this tie dye lady. Minnesotans aren't the sarcastic type so her attitude made her seem like such an outsider.


If you're reading this, please trust me and don't put wild rice into pancakes. It just doesn't make sense and it certainly doesn't add anything to the pancake, but apparently the rice is local and the customers love it. Yuck.

After my stomach was full, I set out to try hitch hiking for the second time. It was only a few miles back to the trail, but I wanted to make up time and a ride would be a huge help.

I started walking towards the trail thinking I could hitch and walk at the same time, but before I could even stick out my thumb a car pulled into the parking lot right in front of me. I stopped in my tracks because the car was essentially blocking my way. As I motioned to the driver to continue, I would wait, the passenger rolled down her window and exclaimed, "Seattle! Seattle!" I was totally confused. Was I wearing something that said Seattle? How did she know I was from Seattle? I looked back at the woman and realized that it was Eagle Eye!

Eagle Eye and her husband were just out for a drive and they were happy to give me a lift back to the trail. As I was putting on my pack at the trailhead, I ran into two other thru hikers. They are hiking south, opposite of my direction, and had tons of questions about the rest of the trail. They had previously met on the Appalachian Trail in 2012 and had made the SHT a sort of reunion hike. I also learned that one of the two, who goes by the name of Turkey Feather, will be hiking the PCT next year and is planning to start only 3 days after my start date. Crazy! 

The trail continued...


Only about 2 miles into this section and with at least 9 miles to go in my day, it started to rain. My dad suggested I bring this giant poncho that covers me and my pack, so I put that on pronto. The trail was going between long exposed ridges and low muddy fields, so as the rain intensified it got more and more difficult to hike. I trudged on for 5 more hours though, soaked, muddy, and without a break as it continued to pour.

I didn't get many pictures since I was afraid of getting my iPhone wet, but I got this one while I was able to take cover under a bit of shelter.


I finally got to a camp at 5pm, only 2 miles short of my distance goal for the day. I'm thrilled considering the circumstances. If breakfast and a full afternoon of rain only sets me back 2 miles, I call that a victory.

One thing about hiking with wet feet- it really highlights any dead skin you have. Here's a picture of how my feet looked after I took off my shoes. Keep in mind that this damage isn't just from this trip, it's a culmination of damage from these past 170 miles, the many 12-30 mile urban hikes I've done this summer, and the 75 miles through the rain in the Cascades a few weeks ago. I know this is gross and I can't wait to get home and clean these up, but I also see them as badges of honor.

May I present... The feet.


Well it's an early end to a long day. I think I'll listen to a book on tape and nod off.


Night!
Rob

3 comments:

  1. When I saw the picture of your feet, I literally yelled "Robert!" at my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TRAIL MAGIC!!!! Are you doing it!? DUDE you're doing it!!

    Your feet are molting. Soon you will sprout feathers and fly away. then we will call you flying baby bear.

    Mackay's comment cracked me up!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "pedicure" needs to be the first item on your to-do list when you get back to Seattle. :-) This blog is delicious reading--thanks for doing it!

    ReplyDelete