Friday, September 27, 2013

SHT Day 8 (9/26)

Another hazy day, but I got out of my tent on time and that's a huge victory. The motivation of pizza 12 miles away definitely helped and I was up and ready to go by 7:30. Eagle eye was already up and greeted me with a, "good morning Seattle!" I was flattered that she tried to give me a trail name, and I did giggle from the consistent lack of creativity from these Minnesotans, but I don't think "Seattle" will do.

These hazy mornings remind me of my dad. The one time he convinced me to go hunting with he and my brothers in Colorado, with promises of Native American sites and historic landmarks, we ended up sitting in a clearing for four hours in the cold, hazy morning. That's when I learned to hate hunting- it's so boring and you can't even talk AND the goal is to kill things. But these hazy mornings are more nostalgic and I remember the trip fondly, as a time I was able to spend with my dad and brothers.


I think I used this next picture as an excuse to take a break. It also reminded me that I look more and more like my father every day.


Today was supposed to be a day of big vistas since I would be climbing some of the largest hills in the area. The fog killed most of the views, but I can tell that the peak color is still on its way, so there should be plenty more incredible views to come.


I ran out of water last night, not having realized the distance between the two closest rivers, and I would have to hike 7 miles this morning until I got to another river. There were some creeks and beaver ponds on the way, but I'm too concerned about giardia and the diarrhea it causes to drink out of these sources.


I made it to the river and rested while I rehydrated. From there I only had 5 more miles until I could take a spur trail to Silver Bay, the home of Jimmy's Pizza. 

I love when the trees grow over the trail, creating these sort of green tunnels.


Silver Bay seems to be composed on one Protestant church, one school, about 11 streets of homes, and this strip mall.


I sat at Jimmy's pizza for a few hours, kicking up my feet, recharging my electronics, and going crazy on pizza, hot wings, and unlimited refills of pop (when in Minnesota, eh?). I was so focused on eating that I couldn't manage to get a clear picture. Can you blame me though? Look at that pizza!


Before getting back on the trail, I stopped at the other restaurant and got a coffee to go. Walking back to the trail with a hot coffee in hand and the cool breeze in the air was pure bliss.


This area has tons of sugar maples, which is one of the trees that make the fall colors are so bright near the shore. According to my guide book, they require warm winters and deep soil which is rare in northern MN. The thermal mass of Lake Superior acts to keep the area cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, allowing these trees to survive.


High on a ridge I found this great view of Bear Lake.


I also found a trail register. Another part of thru-hiker culture, trail registers are a great way to see who is ahead of you and check out if you recognize any of he trail names. I wrote my own entry signing it "Little Bear", a trail name I'm trying on per my friend Kirsten's suggestion. I like the name- sweet, gentle, and undeniably endearing (like me!) I also found the entry that Eagle Eye left two days ago.


Only a mile or two later I made it to camp, alone, but happy to be here in this moment alive and full of pizza.


Time to go to bed. This time I might even be asleep by 8pm!


Au revoir, 
Rob

2 comments:

  1. YES! You received your name on the trail.....digitally. it still counts! fyi, I promise to not be upset if you change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like your happy pizza face. I hope you got to bring along some leftovers for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete