Saturday, October 5, 2013

I MADE IT (10/3-10/4)

Thursday morning started out perfectly. Being in Grand Marais, I walked over to Java Moose and ordered a latte and an oatmeal. I unknowingly sat in a circle of older men from the community to wait for my drink and I was pleasantly surprised to hear them discussing the government shutdown.

There were about 7 men, including the local sherif, all seemingly from Grand Marais. They were quick to identify as liberals and spent some time making jokes with one another about the state of Texas (one described Texas as the anti-Minnesota) and the GOP. Did I mention I love this town? Old artsy liberals who love the outdoors. Yes and yes.

Back at the hotel, the nice old hippy owner helped me into his Subaru and drove me back to the trail.


Within a few miles I came to this section that had me walk right on the shore of the lake. I thought that the closest I would get was way back at Tettagouche State Park around day 7, so this was a surprise.


It was cloudy and windy, but with jacket on and my latte in hand I couldn't have asked for a better morning walk.


I did forget how draining it is to hike in sand! Ugh.


I've been seeing such a huge variety if mushrooms on this trip, but this one is my favorite. This type seems to grow along the rivers and is always huge. It's hard to tell from this picture, but the cap on this one was bigger than my hand!


I hiked through Judge Magney State Park in the afternoon, which is known for the Brule river and it's many falls.


After the state park, I still had a ways to go and little time to get there. I wish this sign would have been accurate, a sled dog team would have been really helpful.


As I got closer and closer to my campsite, the sun started to set. I've made it a point on this trip to get to camp, set up my tent, and hang my food bag all before the sun sets. On Thursday, my desire to get in a few more miles overtook my fear of being alone, hiking in the dark. I thought I could make it to camp before the sun set, but it started getting dark about 30 minutes before I had predicted.

Between the dwindling light and the leaves covering the ground, I lost the trail several times. I accidentally stepped in a mud pit, soaking both of my feet and totally freaking me out. When I got back on the trail I was practically running, trying to get to my campsite.

It's times like these that I like to sing to myself. It serves to keep my anxiety down and to warn any bears (or monsters) of my presence. The only song I could think of at the moment was by Mariah Carey (thanks MacKay for being funny and getting it stuck in my head) and I sang the one part I know. Well I sort of know it...

I can make it through the rain. I will stand up once again on my own and I know that I'm strong enough to mmm. Everytime I feel afraid, I hold tighter to my mmm. Hmm mmm mmm mmm mmm I will make it through the rain

I must have sang this 50 times until I made it to my campsite on Carlson Pond. Thanks Mariah!


This morning I woke up with awful stomach cramps. I had some major digestive issues and spent the first hour at the latrine. As I started hiking I started feeling worse- sweaty, nauseous, and not at all hungry. This being the last big hiking day, I had no option but to keep moving. 

The last sections if the SHT are, in my opinion, the most difficult. They're not as mountainous, but the trail isn't as well cared for as what I was used to. Several miles involved sloshing through the mud. Yuck.


I did see moose tracks all day on the trail. Look how huge these are!


I came upon an overlook with a name that perfectly described how my stomach was feeling.


And here is the overlook.


I took a break at the top. I love breaks, even when I feel like shit (pun intended).


I hiked to the highest point on the trail today. There was no view, so it was a bit anticlimactic.


I have a feeling it was a bad batch of water that put my stomach in this state, so when I had to refill my bottle and only had this foamy stream as an option, I was disappointed. You can be sure I triple treated this water!


The last section of trail was through an area that had been logged about a decade ago.


Then the moment came. The final trail sign. I mmmaaadddeee It!


Although I'm technically done with the SHT, there is one more mile to hike tomorrow. The guide book says that the new terminus of the trail is a mile up the road at a point called 270 Degree Overlook. I'll hike that tomorrow before I get picked up at noon.

Now, it's time to let my stomach settle.


See y'all soon!
Rob

P.S. As you can see, it neither rained nor snowed either day as predicted. Lucky me!

1 comment: