Thursday, April 17, 2014

PCT Day 10

Miles 129-148

I was awake most of the night from the wind on the ridge. I've been having some trouble keeping my tent from flapping in the wind and I'm about ready to scrap this tent and buy a new one. I've had issues since I bought a Tarptent Contrail, but I've continued to use it anyway. It's hard to let go of a piece of equipment after spending so much time and money on it. Other people rave about this tent, but I haven't been able to figure out the best way to use it. I think I'll start to look more closely at the tents other folks are using on the trail.

Anyway, this morning was another incredible morning on the PCT. Look at this sunrise from Combs Peak!


More hot and dry solo hiking.


After the first 8 miles I stopped to get some water and met Twice by the water spigot. We talked for a while about his previous PCT attempts and the lessons he has learned. His two biggest lessons are learning to eat right on the trail and making good time by hiking 20 miles a day (except in the high Sierras). I'm not sure I'm doing either of those things at the moment, but I'm working on it. I've been getting close to 20 miles a day and I'm confident that I can keep this pace, but I haven't figured out how to eat well on trail.

After trying to leave the water source to hike and being forced into the shade by the blazing sun, I decided to sit for a while and make myself some lunch. I'm not really hungry while hiking these days, but I know I have to force myself to eat so I don't lose too much weight. In town is a totally different story; I feel like I could devour 6 burgers and 2 pizzas on a moments notice.


Today I boiled some water and cooked myself a cheesy pasta Knorr side. I ran out of olive oil a few days ago and I haven't found another fat source I can hike with to add to my meals, so I ate the fettuccine noodles and powdered cheese with only water. It was crunchy and watery, but I needed the energy to keep climbing so I forced it all down. While the first half of the day was all downhill, the last half would be all up.


It wasn't as windy during the day today as it has been for the past few days. Without the wind, the heat is almost unbearable. Every spot where the sun touches my skin feels burned. I try to cover up with long sleeves and hats and bandanas, but there always seems to be a little piece of skin left exposed.


Around 2:30 I came to another water cache. I rested in the shade of the cache and waited for the sun to go down a bit before trying to get a few miles closer to Paradise Valley Cafe. I was also hoping that Twice or Rocket Llama or Sug and Lingo would catch up.


Inside the hiker log, someone had left a menu for the Paradise Valley Cafe. The Jose burger is EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be! Bacon! JalapeƱo! Avocado! Only one more day until I get to taste the legend itself!


I waited to see if any friends would come through and by 5:00, still solo, I decided to get going again. After only a mile I came across a big sign that said "Hiker box and SODA." I ran to the cooler, wondering what kind of ice cold soda would be waiting for me. I found nothing. Oh well, the sweet trail angel left other goodies that hikers love: trash cans, instant mashed potatoes, water, and even post cards that they would mail out for you.

I sat at the picnic table and ate my refried beans with hot sauce. Not quite a Jose burger, but this is my favorite trail food I've found so far.


The last few miles of the day took me over the city of Anza and into the sunset.


Only 4 miles from the Cafe, I'm cowboy camping once again to avoid the hassle of that darn tent.


There is nowhere else I'd rather be. Goodnight!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your burger! It is well deserved :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been so enjoying reading your posts. I announced about your blog at Sangha tonight and finally remembered to post a link on the Sangha blog. So you may pick up a few more followers. I trust you replaced the missing sunscreen you left in your Dad's car? I worry about you burning. You are doing so well. I'm experiencing empathetic JOY! Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I did replace my sunscreen, but it hasn't kept me from burning a little. Seattle weather has been poor preparation for all this sunshine!

      Delete
  3. Nice place lol.Locally, Anza and several other mountain communities are collectively referred to as the Hill. Hope you enjoyed !!!

    ReplyDelete