Sunday, April 6, 2014

PCT Day 0

The past few weeks have gone by in a total blur. Im almost too tired to write about it, so I'll stick to mostly pictures with a few rushed descriptions.

I'm taking a leave of absense from work, so on my last day I cooked about 60 hot dogs for my wonderful coworkers. I usually do this on Pride Weekend in June (weiner celebration day- I like a good double entendre), but this year I brought my wieners to Mach.

After getting out of work I finished moving out of my apartment, into a backpack, and onto Heidi's couch for a few days. Thanks Heidi!

On Tuesday, the day before my flight home to California, I stayed on the farm where my boy Ethan works as a farm hand. We had a big party full of farm-fresh food for the birthdays of the two farmers who own the place and they added a "happy trails" to the cake for me. I'm going to miss a lot of people in these next 6 months, but I'm going to really miss Ethan. That boy is pure sunshine. 

I flew home to Yucaipa on Wednesday and wasted no time getting started on the final preparations. I moved my start date from the 14th to the 7th since I'm having trouble with my foot and I want to start early. I'm excited to take a bunch of extra zero days (PCT lingo for a day with no hiking), but four days has felt like nothing to prepare my 12 resupply boxes.

Most of the time on trail I plan on buying food as I go, but there are a few places (mostly in Oregon and Washington) where I would have to go really far out of my way to find a grocery store. For these portions I'm mailing myself food in advance. This should be much more convenient on trail, but it took me more than 6 hours to get these boxes organized and that doesn't even include time for shopping!

To keep myself from going completely crazy, I took a day to visit my grandma (I love you grandma, sorry I forgot to get a picture with you), and my friend Crystal (I hope you have a beautiful wedding my friend, sorry I'll miss it).

Once I got home I had time for a 30-minute nap before going to a family barbecue.

I limited myself to one shot of Fireball. Must. Stay. Hydrated.

It has been an exhausting few days and I don't think I can write any more. Now it's time for a dip in my dad's hot tub before going to sleep. I head to Campo in the morning to start my journey. Wish me luck!


  1. Sad you didn't have time to stop through Vegas but can't wait to follow you on your journey!!! So excited for you :)

  2. I have no idea who you are, but I can't wait to read about your journey! (Kristi's friend). Good luck!!

  3. This blog is so good!! MOAR PLZ!

  4. I just found your journal. GOOD LUCK on your journey, and I am excited to follow along!

  5. Thinking of you for first night on the trail. Eat well and take care of your feet!

  6. This collection of pictures and snippets of your life thus far is great! I am fascinated by the effort it takes to put all this together. (the hike and the blog). Haha.

  7. Adorable! Have an amazing journey!