Friday, April 25, 2014

PCT Day 17

Miles 226-246

Today I was one of the first people out of camp, only two 20-mile days to Big Bear and three days off-trail for the PCT Kickoff event. 

It's always nice hiking in the morning before the sun comes out. The guidebook says that many hikers skip this section of the trail (Mission Creek) because its hot, dry, and has a lot if elevation gain. In order to get the 20 miles to camp tonight, we climb 6,341 feet out of Mission Creek and into the mountains of the San Bernardino National Forest.


There's a burn zone near Mission Creek where I saw these awesome zombie plants.


As I've mentioned before, I've been having trouble eating a sufficient amount of calories for the past few weeks. I'm down to 174 pounds after starting the trail at 185. I know a lot of the weight loss is a normal adjustment to this amount if excersize, but I'd like to slow down
 the weight loss if I can.

On the advise of my brother's friend, who hiked the PCT previously, I've started eating my dinners for lunch. The extra calories in the afternoon combined with forcing myself to snack more regularly has helped to ramp up my appetite. Today I ate overcooked mac n' cheese with hot sauce.


While climbing out of Mission Creek we caught up with a couple named Purple and Carnivore. They hiked the AT a few years ago and tried to finish the PCT last year, but Purple developed a stress fracture around mile 500 which forced them to leave the trail. They pointed out the very first Poodle-Dog Bush we've seen.

According to the PCTA, Poodle-Dog Bush is common in parts of Southern California and touching it can cause a significant allergic reaction. It is a fire follower that thrives in disturbed soils and does especially well along the PCT. Touching the plant can cause anything from a mild rash and blistering to severe respiratory distress. It is a contact dermatitis and can be transmitted in the same way that poison oak is transmitted. For many people, symptoms are worse than a reaction to poison oak. Symptoms generally appear hours or days after touching the plant. All contact should be avoided."



After 14 miles and 4,500 feet of elevation gain we took a rest break and watched a search and rescue helicopter flying around. I tried to remember the hand signal for "I'm OK" but I couldn't so I just shook my head when they flew really low above me. We eventually saw a sheriff truck drive up a nearby road and pick up an injured hiker. Someone going south on the PCT told us that the hiker had been vomiting and not feeling well, called her parents, and her parents called search and rescue. I hope she's feeling better now!


After six more beautiful, flat miles we reached Coon Creek Campground. A few hikers were already setting up camp on the porch of an old cabin, so T-Rose, Rocket, Zeb, Jolly and I decided to escape the cold by packing all 5 of us into one small room.


We chose the Anti Climax room, of course. Doesn't this look clean and welcoming?


While I ate my lunch for dinner, a snickers bar and a bag of cheese-its, T-Rose ate a fine dinner of potato chips and mayonnaise. She is hiking the trail without a stove so she gets pretty creative with her meals.


I'm feeling fantastic and ready to hike 20 more miles tomorrow into Big Bear. Hopefully my dad and brother will meet us there and loan me a car to use for the weekend. If it all works out, five of us will pack in the car and drive back down to Lake Morena (mile 20) for the kickoff event this weekend. Life is goooooood.

1 comment:

  1. So what exactly is the PCT kickoff event? It seems you are already a couple hundred miles past the start line. ;-) Hope you get your nutrition worked out without having to resort to mayo and potato chips!

    ReplyDelete