Saturday, April 12, 2014

PCT Day 5

Miles 59-77

Happy Friday! 

My phone died last night and I've been trying to find a way to keep it charged while I walk. I've been experimenting  with ways to strap my solar charger to the top of my pack and, so far, it's working out really well. The cord is long enough that I can keep the phone in my pocket while I walk.


We had another beautiful day today. Not as hot as the first day- I'm not sure anything could be as hot and difficult as Hauser Canyon- and we hiked in exposed hills with a nice cool breeze.


In the afternoon, Sug, Lingo and I stopped at a water spigot fed by a large, concrete tank. I spread my things out on top of the talk and kicked my feet up I my pack to watch the clouds roll by for a bit. Here is Troll refilling his water; you can almost make out the PCT tattoo on the side of his leg. Troll is a really interesting guy, he has hiked the AT and the PCT once before with his 12 year old son.


Another landscape shot on our way down into the valley.


On our way down the mountain, Nightgown spotted a rattlesnake on the trail and I snapped a picture right before it slithered away. I was glad to have Nightgown hiking ahead of me because I'm usually too distracted by pretty views or butterflies to scan for snakes on the trail.


Earlier in the day, Lingo had asked his mom to provide us with some trail magic once we reached Scissors Crossing at mile 77. So after after 18 total miles today, Lingo's mom drove us 40 minutes to her house stopping at a supermarket and Little Ceasers on the way.

Here's Nightgown looking out at the mountain range we just hiked through.


We each got our own pizza and I got two orders of crazy bread. I love crazy bread and so does Nightgown!


Lingo's mom was incredibly sweet and let us shower, do laundry, and even soak our feet in Epsom salts before bed. My feet are doing fine, but I never turn down trail magic! Sweeeeeet!


Nightgown and I slept in the spare bedroom with these two cuties. Aren't they adorable?! They remind me of the cute baby bunnies I saw on Ethan's farm before I left Seattle.


Another perfect day on the PCT!

3 comments:

  1. Rob, Do you have a trial name yet? That is the big question. Sounds like you are doing amazingly well. Bon Chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No trail name quite yet, but hopefully one will come soon!

      Delete