Thursday, April 17, 2014

PCT Day 11

Miles 148-152

I woke up this morning at dawn with one thought in my mind- FOOD. I jumped out of my sleeping bag, still a bit damp from the morning dew, and shoved everything in my backpack.

I've developed a crude order for packing  my backpack: tent on the bottom, then sleeping bag, sleeping mat, clothing bag, water bottles, and food on top. This way the pack weight is distributed with the heaviest items on top and my food is easy to get to throughout the day. I usually keep a few snacks in my hip belt for easy access, but not this morning. This morning I was saving my appetite for the Paradise Valley Cafe and their breakfast beer.

I know I've been dreaming about the Jose burger, but I just couldn't wait until 11 when they start serving lunch. Rocket, Twice, and I arrived right after the restaurant opened at 8 and I gorged myself on eggs, chorizo, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, and two breakfast beers. 


My dad showed up at 11 and drove the three of us into Idyllwild. Rocket and Sug showed up later after getting lunch and hitching a ride into town. Sug, Lingo, Rocket and I then decided to split the cost of a motel room at the Silver Pines Lodge. The owner was incredibly welcoming, giving us a discount and letting us use the washing machine out back.


The four of us spent the afternoon eating pizza, drinking coffee, and watching Medicine Man take on the 5lb burger challenge. 


Here's Medicine Man with 30 seconds remaining. He tried his best, but only managed to eat 4.5 of the 5 pounds. It was still a great time though, tons of other hikers showed up to witness his attempt. I met Princess, Mr. Sandals, Poppa Bear, Ian, Raspberry, Phillip, and Sara Fay. PCT hikers are such an open and loving bunch. The search for my trail name continued after a few beers with ideas like Take Me Now, Ball Drip, and Button Bear. Obviously none of these names stuck, but Button Bear was pretty hilarious. It just so happens that I have a very interesting spherical sweat stain on my shirt from my belly button!


Our cabin crew ended the night with ice cream and Where the Wild Things Are. I could barely keep my eyes open for the movie, but I enjoyed it immensely. I'm pretty sure I've never been more content in my life.


1 comment:

  1. hahahaaa...beer and biscuits for breakfast!? This sounds like a vacation! xo

    ReplyDelete