Saturday, April 12, 2014

PCT Day 4

Miles 47-59

Last night was FREAKING COLD. I can't figure out why I was cold and shivering all night, even in my 20 degree bag wearing all of my layers. Sug, Lingo and Nightgown all had the same problem, so I'm sure it had something to do with the location of our campsite. Since we had arrived so late, we didn't really pay attention to which campsite we chose. We should be more careful not to hike in windy valleys where cold air settles!

Since we camped in a proper  campground last night, we were able to SHOWER and freshen up this morning before heading out. The showers were lukewarm and absolutely perfect.

During the day we stayed at a high elevation and had view after view of the dry valleys below. It was hot hot hot, but I was happy happy happy.



After a few hours we arrived at a roadside picnic area where and spread out on a picnic table. Nightgown patched up her blisters and I ate a lunch of lasagna. We chatted with Troll for a whle, who was in the middle of his daily siesta. Can you spot Nightgown's nasty toe blister? I videotaped her popping it, but I can't figure out how to upload the video with my cell phone (you're welcome).


New favorite hiking meal- Mountain House brand lasagna.


This picnic area has a water cache, trail register, and a case of Gatorade for hikers. It's insane how motivating a little trail magic can be!


Around 5pm we rolled into the Sunrise Trailhead. It was extremely windy, but we found a spot between two hills that protected us from the big gusts. We camped next to Santa's Helper (a hiker in his 60s or 70s), George (a hiker from Seattle that we call Rainbow because of his multi-colored trail outfit), and Mike (I don't know anything about Mike).


The water at Sunrise Trailhead is from an old horse trough fed by a water tank. This was actually the first time I had to use my Sawyer Squeeze water filter. Every other source has been from unopened bottles at caches or potable water from campgrounds. The little filter is slow, but it works!


Another beautiful day on the PCT. Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment